With so many brands today turning to e-commerce to reach a broader audience, there are countless platforms out there to choose from. Among all of the available options, there are two that rise above the pack – the powerful site-builder Shopify, and the versatile WordPress plugin WooCommerce. Recent surveys indicate that well over 40% of e-commerce sites in the U.S. are powered by either Shopify or WooCommerce – that’s an impressive share of the market for just two platforms!
Here at Rosie’s Creative, we’ve built sites using both platforms, and we can attest that they’re both quality e-commerce solutions, worthy of their lofty market position. But there are a few key differences between the two, and depending on the unique needs of your business, you might find that one is a better fit than the other.
Shopify: For small businesses looking for a basic, no-fuss online storefront, Shopify is a great option. It’s an all-in-one platform that streamlines and simplifies the process of building and managing an e-commerce site. It is a great choice for those who want to build their own site, or who might want to hire a pro designer for the initial setup, then take the reins from there. But as your business grows and your needs become more complex, you may find it limiting as Shopify tends to charge extra fees for added functionality and hosting storage.
1. Domain name, SSL certificate, site security, and hosting are all included
2. A proprietary interface provides tools to customize the look of your shop; but is limited to the options Shopify gives you
3. Shopify boasts it’s own customer service staff and provides a self-service online help portal
WooCommerce: For larger businesses that want to position themselves for growth, a WordPress site featuring WooCommerce is the way to go. Once set-up by a professional development team, it’s easy for DIY’ers to maintain store inventory and provides greater functionalit; more customization options, and more room for growth. Since WordPress offers such impressive design flexibility, WooCommerce is a terrific option if you want a truly unique look for your shop. In the hands of a skilled designer, WooCommerce can power a site that’s tailor-made for your brand…
1. Take your SEO by storm! WordPress and WooCommerce combined creates a powerhouse for SEO optimization
2. An open-source platform, WooCommerce provides greater functionality, more customization options, and more room for growth
3. WooCommerce with WordPress provides security and customer management options above and beyond proprietary competitors
4. The Rosie’s Creative team is always happy to help our clients with things like site maintenance, security, and backups
Need help determining which e-commerce platform is best suited to your needs? Rosie’s Creative can help. Whether you’re looking to take the reins of a small storefront, or you want a long-term growth partner to help with more ambitious endeavors, we’re here for you.
Want to learn more? Contact us today – and remember, with Rosie’s Creative, your first consultation is always free.